Thursday, April 7, 2011

Keep it simple...

I was reading a humorous article on slate.com which was all about a 10 year expat's appreciation for US appliances (or dis-appreciation for European ones). The overly complicated euro-glyphs were everywhere, and unlike the kind of driving signs like we have in the US which make sense no matter what language you speak...


...okay so they don't ALL make sense...(see this link for larger image of above)

Anyway, back to my original topic, the description of the insanity of the difficult and overly complicated instructions (not to mention poorly performing devices), reminded me of another Ritz Carlton experience - this one at the Ritz Carlton Berlin. (see my previous article about the Ritz Carlton).

I've stayed in many hotels around Europe in a variety of countries. While you might have issues with their lack of air-conditioning, the controls were pretty simple to use. Except in Germany. And not just any hotel...this was the Ritz Carlton.

When I arrived, I was instructed that a certain elevator was restricted due to secret service agents for some important VIP who was going to arrive. This was one of the high end Ritz Carltons, with soaking tubs where they'll draw you a bath, and a pillow menu. Did you know you can choose more than just foam versus feathers? Here you can. And that's for no additional charge (see previous article as to why it is nice not to be nickel-and-dimed at high-end hotels).

Again with the tangents...I'm sorry...so when I'm there, the temperature is a little cooler than i would like, so I approached the thermostat. It was completely unrecognizable.

I'm not a technophobe. In fact, quite the opposite. I'm an "early adopter." I love technology that makes my life better and easier. I read manuals. I know what every single function on my camera does. I know NOT to have the flash on when taking photos in a stadium (big pet peeve of mine when a thousand flashes go off needlessly at a ball game). I have two advanced post-college degrees. And yet, I could not figure out how to make the heat go on.

I wish I had taken a photo like the author of the slate.com article I referenced above did. But OMG, there was no blue or red areas,  no NUMBERS (I know Celsius so I'd be fine if they gave me that...). But that did not stop me.

There were two buttons, I assumed (incorrectly) that one was hot and one was cold. All I had to do was guess which one. So I experimented, and could not get heat to go on. In fact, I was convinced that my room was colder no matter what button I pushed, as if there was a cold and colder button for air-conditioning, but no button for heat.

So I assumed the thing was broken and called for assistance. Due to the language barrier, they sent someone to my room to help. I was a little embarrassed (stupid american!) so I watched from a distance. I don't know what they did, but in a moment, the heat was on.

That should have been the end, but realize, I'm a stubborn person. I wanted to understand. Were you supposed to push both buttons at the same time? Perhaps in time to a specific rhythm? I don't know. But someone with a lot less education got it to work, surely I could.

A short time later, it was clear that the heat, while on, was not warm enough. I tried again to manipulate the thermostat without luck. I did not want to further embarrass myself by calling to have the heat increased yet again. So I slept with extra of the plush blankets they provided, and enjoyed six different pillows for a lovely night's sleep.

This was my european Kafka moment. Have you had one? Do tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment