Saturday, November 12, 2011

Diary of my Pregnancy - 40 year old first timer

6 weeks 5 days:


Wow, so far still doing well. My breasts REALLY hurt and have grown out of many of my clothes that fit just weeks ago. And I'll probably need some new bras soon. I've had occasional bits of nausea and keep the zofran close just in case. I've taken it twice so far.

BTW just a note about Zofran ODT (orally dissolving tablets). Zofran is a great, safe medicine for nausea in pregnancy. The ODT version is fantastic because it dissolves under the tongue and works nearly instantly and can't be vomited up.

HOWEVER, to make it taste okay, the makers have put in aspartame for a sweetener. Aspartame is Nutrasweet. Personally, I have physical issues with nutrasweet, so I completely avoid it. Best thing I ever did, eliminating that from my diet. I was dismayed that as an MD I had no idea of aspartame being in the medicine. It is NOT on the bottle. However, if you get the peel-aways, it does list aspartame as an ingredient. This is true of another orally dissolving tablet - Prevacid solutabs BTW.

Many pregnant women avoid sweeteners. I am. So if you are trying to avoid aspartame, but need a nausea medicine that is safe in pregnancy and has low side effects, get Zofran tablets. Make sure it is NOT the ODT version.

I'm also proud of myself...you know medical professionals of any kind make the worst patients. And I'm not great about taking medicines of any kind. But I have not missed a dose of my prenatal vitamins. My bowels can tell the difference. The iron, is, well, constipating. I'm going to have to start eating more prunes. 'Nuf said, I know, TMI.

Also, regarding my previous post about the baby forums for July, besides being shocked by all the non-pregnant people on the monthly due date forums, I'm also shocked by the misinformation being bandied about on the site. I know this is a forum for pregnant women to share information, but really, something as important as pregnancy should have MD moderators. OBs in particular.

As an MD I hesitate to ever give advice over the internet, but when I see such blatant dangerous advice...I feel it is my duty to pipe in. In particular, a woman asked if it was possible to be pregnant after a tubal ligation, saying she had "debilitating pain" much worse than a period. The answer is, yes, you can, but it is rarely normal - it is usually an ectopic (commonly referred to as a tubal) pregnancy.

This woman was wondering if she should go to the doctor because she was late, in severe pain, and her pregnancy test was normal, having had a tubal ligation many years ago. The answers given to her by others were, "I had 2 babies post tubal ligation" and "Just wait a week before going to the Doctor." Huh? The answer should have been (and what I posted) is, "While it is theoretically possible to have a normal pregnancy post tubal ligation, it is more likely to be an ectopic pregnancy...which if left untreated can kill you. Go the the ER. Now." Especially, when there is a history of "debilitating pain." I hope that woman is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment